Child and Dependent Care Credit

You may be able to claim the child and dependent care credit if you paid expenses for the care of a qualifying individual to enable you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or actively look for work. The amount of the credit is a percentage of the amount of work-related expenses you paid to a care provider for the care of a qualifying individual. The percentage depends on your adjusted gross income. Following is information to consider when claiming this credit.

What is the dollar Limit for expenses?

Who is a qualifying Individual

  • Physically or Mentally Not Able to Care for Oneself 
  • Children of Divorced or Separated Parents or Parents Living Apart
  • Individual Qualifying for Part of Year 
  • Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) 

Care of a Qualifying Individual

Care Providers

Reporting on Your Tax Return

If you qualify for the credit, complete Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses (PDF) and attach to Form 1040, U.S Individual Income Tax Return (PDF)Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors (PDF) or Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return (PDF). If you received dependent care benefits from your employer (an amount is shown on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement (PDF)), you must complete Part III of Form 2441.

Additional Information

For more information about qualifying for this credit and dependent care benefits, refer to Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses and Am I Eligible to Claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit?


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s